It's been a few years but at last we have got a first-time pass 🙂 I will take a bit of credit for it as I spent quite some time last week making sure all the obvious things were OK.
To put the advisories into perspective the front oil leak is coming from the sump, after one to many scrapes on the road and has resulted in only a 1 foot diameter stain on the piece of cardboard on the garage floor and I have only had to top her up once this year with about a cup of oil. If I remember next year I will wipe her clean before the test and I suspect they won't see anything.
And I have my pop riveter ready to fix the panel.
Ignore the mileage of course, remember I ran her for 5 years without a working speedo and I estimate I did 2000 miles/year during that time, so I reckon I am coming up to 35,000 miles.
I still think the best decision I made was a few weeks after I bought her when I found a mechanic near me who specialises in classic cars, and he agreed to help me keep her on the road by taking on the 'heavy lifting'. As I get older and less flexible he has taken on more and more work to help me. This year I have asked him to replace the timing belt, which I don't think I could do, and while he has the car to replace the auxiliary belt, flush and replace the coolant and replace the brake fluid. I will do everything else (new spark plugs, new oil and filter....) that is equivalent to a major service.
So she enters her 19th year in great shape
No comments:
Post a Comment