Saturday 26 October 2013

The 'Boot' project

One of the major projects was to improve the boot. The starting point was a stainless steel cover, hinged at the front and nothing inside except the fuel tank. No room to store any tools, spare parts or emergency equipment. Difficult to open with the wet-weather gear attached and lots of sharp edges underneath. 

So, first step was to build a wooden insert. Fit carpet to it to avoid tools rattling, and fit a vinyl lined surround to match the dashboard.

So initially it takes the following: Jack, Wheel Brace, Screwdrivers, Spanners, Pliers, Wire, Fuses, Insulating Tape, Socket Set, First Aid Kit and spare bulbs. 

Followed by: Tow Rope, Jump Leads, Torch, Duct Tape, Stanley Knife, 2 x Adjustable Spanners, High Visibility Jacket, Spare Fan Belt and Spare Clutch Cable. 

Have I forgotten anything ? 

This is what it looks like installed on the car, with a nice vinyl covered lid, again matching the dashboard. 

Hinges moved to the back of the car so it can be opened with the wet-weather gear installed and fitted with a locking mechanism to keep things safe.

Finally a luggage rack added in case I have to take a passenger anywhere and cannot use the passenger seat and foot well as storage. 

All it needs now is a wicker picnic basket on the rack !! 

Status:  Complete

Saturday 19 October 2013

1000 Miles

Although I was spending quite some time 'tinkering' with the car, I still took every opportunity I could to make the most of the fantastic weather and drove the car quite a lot.   Today I passed the 1000 mile mark since July.   The car has behaved impeccably and continues to be an absolute joy.

Friday 18 October 2013

Dashboard Project - Phase Three

The final aim is to make the dashboard of three removable sections, all vinyl covered and the gear handle mounting and transmission tunnel vinyl-covered to match. So the next stage was to cut away the right side of the dashboard, to allow easy access to the brake cylinder and pipes and the steering column. And then fabricate a matching vinyl covered dashboard section and cover the steering column with vinyl to match. 

 Status: Phase 3 complete, moving along nicely

Saturday 12 October 2013

Petrol Smell

After a fair bit of driving I figured out that the petrol smell only occurred if I went round left turns very fast. I had been doing that a fair bit as it was such fun. I assume that when I do that all the petrol in the tank slops to the right side of the tank, where the filler system is located. The previous owner confirmed that the petrol pipe between the tank and the filler cap was a bit of a bodge and might be leaking. In fact it turns out it was made from a couple of rubber gaiters off suspension units. 

So the first thing I did was replace the original hose with a proper brand new one.  


As it turns out that did not help and the smell still occurs in fast left turns. But I was pleasantly surprised that it fixed the ‘slow-filler’ problem I had before. Now fills up as quick as every other car. 

Status: Still need to track down the leak

Saturday 5 October 2013

Steering Bushes

The picture shows that the rubber bushes were badly perished and had split in a number of places. A definite MOT failure. 

Turned out to be difficult to split the arm until I got the correct tool. Then it was easy. 

So here is the new bush fitted to one of the steering arms and then in place on the car. 

Status: Complete