And the design of the Superspec means that it is very difficult to release it when you are already strapped in (a combination of the handbrake being in the passenger footwell and the fact you are strapped in with a 4-point harness).
So I determined I needed to fit a warning light.
That needed a switch and after trawling E-Bay I came up with this one.
The first idea was to just pop-rivet it to the floor underneath the car, in front of the handbrake. But I realised I need to be able to adjust it after it was fitted to ensure it matched the position of the brake. And after breaking 3 drill bits in fairly short order I decided to rethink the design. So I mounted it on a separate piece of stainless steel with adjustable slots that I could mount on existing bolts in the floor.
The idea was good but unfortunately I found that the movement of the mechanism under the car was not sufficient to overcome resistance in the spring so it was impossible to adjust it correctly. It looks as though I will have to do something inside the passenger compartment, where the movement of the lever is greater.
So after quite a lot of work I am back to square one. But that is half the fun of course.