Only been back 24 hours but been busy To be fair, as she was working so well a couple of weeks ago, I decided to leave everything until after Stoneleigh.
One of the concerns I have always had with the car relates to the
power steering pump. Obviously the car doesn't have power steering but
the power steering pump is combined with the water pump so there is no
way it can be removed.
The original Robin Hood solution was simply to
run a tubes from the inlet and the output and join them together. Here
is the join, a copper pipe with the tubes clamped.
That is all well and good, but if ever the fluid leaked you would have
no way of knowing and eventually the pump would run dry and would fail
First thing was to replace the piece of copper pipe holding the 2 ends
together with a brass T-piece and put a third piece of pipe on that.
Here is the result:
When I split the pipe no fluid emerged, and once I had the third tube in
I put a small funnel in and added some fluid. It took a disturbingly
high amount. So maybe I caught the system just in time. Remember,
this has been running like that for 8 years.
The next stage was to fabricate some sort of reservoir to attach to the
other end of the new pipe to hold the fluid. I had been looking at
various options but while I was at Stoneleigh I found these:
When It came to mounting it I could have put it on the left of the car
just back from the T-piece, but that was very close to the exhaust so
there would be a danger of the fluid boiling.
But I had plenty of pipe
so I decided to mount it front right of the engine bay where there is
plenty of room. And mounted it using the double circlip method. Rock solid.
So job done, I just need to go and buy some more power steering fluid to completely fill it.