Been a bit quiet recently but took her out 3 times last week. Nice run down to see latest grand daughter on Sunday. The engine loves this cool damp air, she ran like a sewing machine and once again I found I was having to force myself to slow down. I really don't know why people SORN the cars over the winter, it is lovely. Temperature stabilised at 86C, which I am quite happy with. It could run hotter but anything above 80C is enough to boil off contaminates in the oil.
But on the way back, as it was getting dark, I noticed the brake
lights weren't working again. The warning glow behind the dash next to
my right knee once again proved it's worth, as I would never have known
This normally means the adjustment has vibrated out, but this time
that didn't seem to be the problem. Taking the switch out it all
worked fine, but once I mounted it back it stopped working. Wiggling
the wires made it flicker so I put new spades on both wires. Didn't
help. Eventually I figured out the contacts inside the switch had
become intermittent. You may recall the original switch had corroded
and I had replaced it with one of a Mini that I got for 99p. I guess 3
years is not bad for 99p.
So this time I decided to splash out and get one from a Land Rover
Defender on the basis that might be heavier duty. Cost the grand sum of
Fitted it and everything was fine. The only problem was getting the
adjustment right. Up to now I have adjusted the whole mounting unit,
but as this has to be mounted using self-tappers (If nuts/bolt used then
it needs a second person to access the underside of the pedal box)
these are not designed to be repeatedly taken in and out so have now
worn. So had to come up with an alternative solution. Have always
been happier working with wood than metal (Remember the wooden clutch
cable adjuster with is working perfectly), probably because I did
woodwork at school rather than metalwork.
So I decided to use a wooden
wedge, initially cutting it roughly to size and then using a Surform
plane to gradually reduce the length until the switch was in exactly the
Success, very solid fit and lights come on perfectly when pedal depressed.